Thursday, October 3, 2019

Glitter!!

Back in my reception room corner office.  Today we are talking about glitter. 

Not because the week has been particularly glittery, but because the week has been very not glittery and I need a sparkle infusion.  

I spent a solid 10 minutes looking up glitter memes.  The majority of them were inappropriate, but made me laugh.  If you need a dose of sparkle today, please search "glitter meme."  I settled on this one, because it seemed the most appropriate for public consumption: 
Image result for glitter meme

Kiddo 1.0 has dabbled in the theater world with a summer camp here and there.  This past Saturday, she jumped into the deep end of the pool with an actual audition for an actual production.  Kiddo 2.0 and I were poolside for FOUR HOURS, which is apparently how long actual auditions take.  After scrambling through a fast food drive through, Kiddo 2.0 and I settled in and watched.  

Guys. 

I spend the next 3.5 hours in tears.  

Not because it was sad, but because it was BEAUTIFUL and BRAVE and COMMUNITY.  Kids from kinder through high school hopped on stage, one at a time. Some of them sang and danced like the soundtrack of their life was a showtune. And I cried because they were so authentically brave.  Some of them crawled on stage and could not remember their name.  And I cried because they were so authentically brave.  Whenever this happened, the director asked the kid to get off stage, come sit by her, and whisper-sing their prepared song.  Every single kid, and there were over 60, completed their audition to a round of applause.  Every.Single.One.  I tear up just recalling the memory.  

Kiddo 1.0 got a "call back" which is theater-speak for another round of auditions for the really big parts and I realized we're in the deep end for awhile.  I'm so proud and scared and in love with the fiercely talented human she is. Seems like an appropriate time to introduce you to my spirit animal: 
Image result for you cannot selectively numb emotion

Medical appointments and new stories have been rip-my-heart-out tender and hard this week.  And audition courage and applause was also rip-my-heart-out tender and joyful.  Because, I think, that's the journey of living life with your whole heart.  

Allergy shot timer just went off, so I gotta run.  But remind me to tell you about the kickboxing disco ball sometime, dear-hearts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment